Carrots – not just for the rabbits!
While on holiday in Sweden my son and I tried several carrot cakes and most of the ones we tried in the Cafe`s had the special twist with cardamom! It was a great treat to simply indulge, not too heavy, very fresh.
Three days back at home and we decided to give a new recipe a try and we found this one! It is delicious, light and just the right texture – and gets a lovely colour! Hope you will enjoy, too! Easy and quick at the same time!
I found this one on https://heavenlycupcake.se.
And if you manage to have some left over – it is still great the next day!
- 3 eggs
- 3dl (*) sugar (I used a bit less and found it sweet enough)
- 150gr butter
- 5dl carrots finely grated
- 3dl flour
- 1 teasp vanilla sugar (I used 1 teasp vanilla extract)
- 3 teasp baking powder
- 2 teasp grounded cinnamon
- 0.5 teasp cardamom grounded (I used a bit more for more intense flavour)
- 0.5 teasp ginger grounded
- 1 little pinch of salt
(*) 1dl – 100ml
- Melt the butter and let it cool down a bit
- Mix eggs and sugar very well until white and a bit fluffy
- Gently lift under the carrots and melted butter, best with a spatula.
- In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients, flour, vanilla powder, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, baking powder and salt.
- Gently mix the dry ingredients into the wet ones until just mixed, best with a spatula.
- Spread onto a baking tray or baking form around 20x20cm
Bake at 150 deg C for about 1 hr on the lowest rack (check in between, e.g. with a wooden stick to come out dry
Remove the cake and let it cool down completely before adding the frosting.
- 100gr butter
- 200gr cream cheese
- 1,5 dl cream (I did not add it but it will make it more “fluffy”)
- 1 teasp vanilla sugar (I used vanilla extract)
- 200gr icing sugar
I personally found the amount of frosting a bit too much and will reduce the ingredients by half the next time. But I assume this is personal preference.
- Let the butter and cream cheese become room temperature
- Mix only the butter until white and creamy
- Add the cream cheese and continue mixing to a creamy consistency
- Add the icing- and vanilla sugar (I used vanilla extract and added a bit more of grounded cardamom, too)
- If you decide to add the cream, add it bit by bit and mix up to a fluffy frosting.
- Spread it well into the cooled down cake.
Now, sit back with a coffee or tea, a nice book or friends and indulge!
Have a lovely day,